The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving

The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
757 Flares Facebook 137 Google+ 57 Twitter 0 Pin It Share 562 StumbleUpon 1 Email -- 757 Flares ×

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays!

Thanksgiving-side-dishes

Partly because my birthday falls on Turkey Day every four years, but mainly because of the family and food…but really just the food, lets be honest.

tumblr_mwxmpizaAE1qlarhuo1_500

While most Americans look forward to the main attraction aka the turkey, I wait all year long for those amazing side dishes! below are my top 6 choices:

Thanksgiving Sides Dish

Slow Cooker Creamed Corn by Damn Delicious

Moms-Sweet-Potato-Casserole-700x1050

Mom’s Sweet Potato Casserole by Six Sisters’ Stuff

Honey-Maple-Roasted-Carrots

Honey Maple Roasted Carrots by The Cafe Sucre Farine

cran-sauce-3341

Bourbon Vanilla Cranberry Sauce by eatliverun.com

Fluffy-Mashed-Potatoes-

Fluffy Mashed Potatoes by Pocket Change Gourmet

original_Camille-Styles-Thanksgiving-southwestern-poblano-cornbread-stuffing_3x4.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.822

Southwestern-Style Pablano Cornbread Stuffing by HGTV

tumblr_m10fkbp3eX1qg2bs2

As a bonus, here are a few recipes from some of my blogger friends!

1. Non-traditional Squash Side Dish by The Road to the Good Life

2. Sweet Potato Casserole by Happy 2Ba Homemaker

3. Butternut Squash by The Sweetest Thing

What’s your favorite side dish on turkey day? Do you have a Thanksgiving recipe* you make every year?

*this collection of recipes is meant to serve as a resource to help you find some yummy Thanksgiving ideas from many talented bloggers! these photos belong to different bloggers and are not mine. i have compiled them here to create a visual index of their recipes.

105 Responses to The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving

1. Hey Jess,

I totally agree with you! The side dishes are what makes Thanksgiving for me.

Thanks for including our Fluffy Mashed Potatoes in a list of your favorites.

Doug

2. All 6 dishes look amazing and I might have try them all! I’ve pinned this to use later! Definitely trying the Fluffy Mashed Potatoes for my husband!

3. Cesar Diaz says:

Love the side dishes, everything looks delicious! Thank you for sharing.

4. Paula says:

OMG! These all look so delicious, I am so hungry now! Can’t wait for Thanksgiving to arrive. 🙂

5. Amy says:

What a fun and timely post! I love the looks of those glazed carrots–brilliant to add pomegranate seeds to them! Yummy!

6. Briton says:

I love homemade cranberry sauce! These all look super tasty- I can’t wait for next week!!

7. Wonderful blog! Yes indeed, the sides make the meal as well as the turkey. Thank you for posting the wonderful recipes.

8. Oooooh yummmy! I love sweet corn and mash potato, been a childhood favorite and hasn’t changed.

9. aimee fauci says:

I am making my Thanksgiving list RIGHT NOW as I am reading this. I keep seeing creamed corn and I am wandering is I should add it this year. Might be the only one eating it tho.

10. Heather Grow says:

These look sooooo good. I’m not a turkey eater so I’m all about the side dishes. I’m visiting from Feature Friday.

11. Tonya says:

I’ll take the sweet potatoes, please 🙂

12. Mionna says:

That corn looks delicious. I might have to try that out. I can’t do it this year though; my mom already has the menu set and has already assigned people to their respective dishes!! She’s on the money! #FHFridays

13. Sophie Bowns says:

I wish I was American- the food looks AMAZING!

14. OMG Jessica, these side dishes look so good! Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday. Your post has been pinned to the Pin Worthy Pinterest Board 🙂

15. G’day Looks great! All blog comments appreciated and sharing is caring today!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What’s On The List #SayGdayParty pinned

16. Monica says:

Wow, these all look amazing! I can’t wait to try these!

17. Joie says:

These all look delicious. I have to admit though that my favorite is Mashed Potatoes!

18. I cant wait for Thanksgiving now! Everything sounds so good.

19. Lara says:

I’m all about the sides 🙂 I take a few bites of turkey and load up on the sides.

20. Looks yummy. I have to admit this year I am not quite as excited about Thanksgiving cuz I have to do most of the cooking!

21. I like this collection of dishes. I agree, I’m all about the side dishes on Thanksgiving. The turkey is an afterthought.

22. Kelly says:

We may not celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia but how good do those carrots look? Oh my goodness, I am salivating! Thanks for linking up at the Link Up Your Link Up Party! #mum-bo-jumbo #nannaswisdom

23. Annmarie says:

These all look so good! Love the sweet potato casserole!

24. Lisa Rios says:

Such awesome & great dishes for Thanks giving. I love all these side dishes. Slow cooker creamed corn and sweet potato caserolle are the ones, I love the most.

25. some wonderful recipes, I love the sound of the corn & potato casserole. A big thanks for linking up with #nannaswisdom & #mum-bo-jumbo

26. GiGi Eats says:

Thanksgiving is hands down my favorite :)! My favorite side dish is probably roasted chestnuts because I only eat them about 2x a year!! Makes them that much better !

27. Heather says:

My husband’s sweet potato casserole is seriously the best! Oh and I kinda just love all sides…stufffing. OMG, I’m making myself hungry!

28. Amy says:

Those roasted carrots look fantastic! I’ve seen similar dishes, but I really like the addition of seasons seeds to this one. I will definitely have to try it!

29. I love how many side dishes the Thanksgiving dinner includes! Some of my favorites are sweet potato casserole and the mashed potatoes and gravy. Mmmm, now I am so excited for tomorrow.

Thanks for joining us for Hump Day Happenings!

30. becca says:

Yummy!! these all sound delicious and have me wanting Thanksgiving dinner now.

31. Sahana says:

Wow!!Thank you for linking up your delicious recipe list at Bloggers Brags Party. I have pinned to Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board. We would love to see you again next Monday. “Happy Thanksgiving “.Have a great time 🙂

32. Cathy says:

The sides make the meal for me. Thank you for sharing such a great collection of sides with Share It Onr More Time. Cathy

33. These all look so delish! Thanks for linking up last week at Creative Spark link Party hope you will stop by again today and link up! http://bit.ly/1yf1bP4

34. Shirley Wood says:

Thank you for sharing with us at Home Matters Linky party. Please be sure to come back for the newest party starting tomorrow!

35. Im a little jealous that Australia doesn’t have something like thanksgiving, love the idea of the holiday where everyone gets together to enjoy a delicious feast and giving thanks! And how cute that your birthday sometimes falls on it- like a nation giving thanks to you haha

36. Wow all these side dishes look seriously amazing. I especially want to try the honey maple roasted carrots, they would also be great for a Christmas eve dinner.

37. All of these side dishes look delicious! Thanks for linking up at the Home Matters Linky!
    ~Bonnie

38. Lauren says:

Oh my goodness, all of these side dishes look amazing!! I am pinning this one for later!

39. These side dishes look wonderful. I’m especially curious about the creamed corn… my grandmother’s was always my favorite, and we can’t seem to replicate it just right. Pinning for trying later! Thanks for sharing at #HomeMatters

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

40. Jennifer says:

I so agree — appetizers and sides, that’s what my plate will consist of 😉

41. Love a good side dish love it when there is lots of fabulous side dishes! I’m often happy just eating the side dishes! 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing your collection of dishes, i hope you had a lovely thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with us for Sunday Brunch x

42. Creamed corn, Yummy !!! I can eat a full bowl !! #momssmallvictories

43. Yum. I like the side dishes more than the turkey itself too! Pinned to our #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup board! Hope you join us again this week!

44. The creamed corn looks great! Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays.

45. I’ll have to go see what they do to their potatoes. Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party last week. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.

46. lisa says:

I’ve never tried sweet potato pie. It looks pretty tasty. I don’t even know what a sweet potato tastes like.

47. Dianna Davis says:

yummmmmmmm— I do know about anyone else– but these are comfort foods to me–It always makes me feel like coming home, not just for holidays, but any cool weather visit home. They all look wonderful –making me hungry–lol

48. Mai T. says:

Fluffy mashed potatoes by pocket change gourmet looks like food from heaven. The color is appealing!

49. Lauree says:

I have to admit I love it all. My mom is from the North and Nanny is from the South so we get all kinds of goodies. Bread dressing AND cornbread dressing! I usually host, but my main contribution is the tablescape and the oven :).

My husband always wants green bean casserole – my secret ingredient is to add water chestnuts. He loves it.

50. sue says:

Oh the roasted carrots and mashed potatoes are my favourites. Thanks for sharing with us at #AnythingGoes – lots of variety here for everyone to enjoy

51. Deedra says:

All of it looks good. My favorite is the carrots. I make them sometimes in the year because I can’t wait for Thanksgiving. Have a great day.

52. It is crazy to think that it is already almost THanksgiving. Time is flying by. All these sides look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

53. Wow, already at Thanksgiving. I’m still celebrating Halloween anticipation on my blog… and getting ready for getting cozy… Thank you for linking this up at SHARE IT 33. A new party will open again tonight/tomorrow and we hope to see you there again! ~ Rose

54. […] Rose, who's busy crafting at the FineCraftGuild on The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving […]

55. Katie says:

Great round up, I LOVE making side dishes for meals, they always make the main dish that much more interesting. Nice dragonfly, too BTW! 🙂

56. Now you are turning my thoughts to Thanksgiving. While I like to cook, my cranberry sauce turns into cranberry soup.

57. LOOKS SO YUMMY!! This makes me so excited for Thanksgiving!!

Wanted to let you know this will be another one of our features for the Weekend Wind Down Link Party!! Thanks for linking up!!

-Britni from Happy Mama Tales

58. Brandyn says:

These all look amazing…I may have to rethink my menu now!!

Thank you for sharing with us at #mommymeetupmondays!

59. […] of Leaving // 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving // What are your favorite side-dishes for the […]

60. […] of Leaving // 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving // What are your favorite side-dishes for the […]

61. It all about the sides.

62. […] of Leaving // 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving // What are your favorite side-dishes for the […]

63. Yummy! I agree with you, turkey is great and all but it’s the sides that makes Thanksgiving delicious. I really want to try the sweet potato casserole. Thanks for sharing at Welcome Home Wednesday!

64. AnnMarie says:

They are all mouthwatering but I want to dive right into those carrots! Thanks for sharing all these great recipes!

65. Thanksgiving day is one of my favorite holidays because of the FOOD! You’ve found some awesome side dishes here.

66. Wow, these are some gorgeous dishes! I love Thanksgiving dinner too. The sweet potato dish looks fantastic & I’m going to try that this year. Visiting from #alittlebitofeverything x

67. […]   Followed by Recipes to warm the hearts and fill our tummies Dreaming of Leaving =//⇒ 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving   Written Reality=//⇒And Sometimes we need a new way of preparing the turkey, tuck the recipes […]

68. […] The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving by Dreaming of Leaving […]

69. kristie says:

Looks yummy! I love sides too! I have to make my mom’s zesty green beans with lemon zest and bacon!!! Thanks for sharing!

70. What a great collection of recipes, thanks so much for linking up with us forFabulous Foodie Fridays 🙂

71. […] The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving by Dreaming of Leaving […]

72. Tiffany says:

All of these look delicious! I especially like the Honey Maple Glazed Carrots. Can’t wait to try a couple of these out. Thanks for sharing with us at the Merry Monday Link Party! Hope to see you again on Sunday night!

73. Amberjane says:

Sound delicious – Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

74. Jules Ruud says:

Yes! I always looking for new side dish ideas. This year, I’m hosting a brunch and just may have to try making the sweet potato casserole. Thanks for linking up at #mommymeetupmondays!

75. sue says:

Halloween, now Thanksgiving and soon Christmas. I’m sure these would be suitable for any of the festive season. Thanks for sharing with us at #AnythingGoes.

76. Tianna says:

I love my mom’s stuffing and could care less about turkey haha. great picks!

77. Blanca says:

These side dishes all look delicious, they made me hungry 😉 Thank you for linking up to The Party Gals Linky!

78. These all look absolutely delicious! I’m actually planning a similar roundup because I love Thanksgiving side dishes so much! It will be hard to top this one though!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Share The Wealth Sunday!
    xoxo
    Lisa

79. […] 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving  I am totally a side dish girl, so my mouth watered just seeing the pictures in Dreaming of Leaving’s article. […]

80. Krista says:

THanks for sharing at the MeetUp Monday Link Party! I can’t wait to try the cranberry sauce! http://www.thequinntessentialmommy.com

81. Margy says:

I love Thanksgiving, but this year we’ll be away from home again watching football games. Eating in a restaurant just isn’t the same. – Margy

82. Stephanie says:

Yum- these all look so delish! Great ideas for some jazzed up traditional sides!

83. Jessica says:

mmmm! Everything looks wonderful. I am a sucker for roasted veggies though. Yum!

84. Stephanie says:

YUM! These all look SO good. I love Thanksgiving and all the delicious food that comes along with it.

85. These look great! I’ll be definitely trying the carrots. Yum!

86. Thank you. I was just so tired of making the same old, same old but your crock-pot corn woke me up.

87. Lovely collection of food. I have not tried celebrating Thanksgiving Day yet coz we don’t have anything like that here in UK, but I’ve heard a lot about that though. It’s just like christmas having turkey as the main dish, isn’t it? Thanks for sharing! #ThrowbackThursday

88. Orli says:

I love thanksgiving food, and being a vegetarian I am a huge supporter of the side dishes myself 🙂 I love making some maple baked and caramelised sweet potatoes, and I try to make it every year with my kids. You are so right that holidays are about family and mainly food! 🙂

89. This look like such an amazing lot of food! I bet those carrots are lush. Thanks for sharing with #throwbackthursday and see you again xx

90. Alina says:

Oh these are brilliant! Thank you for sharing! X

91. Side dishes are my favorite to. I want to try your roasted carrot recipe. Yum.

92. […] The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving from Dreaming of Leaving […]

93. Brittany Bly says:

These are all Thanksgiving Feast Game Changers! Great list. Seriously GREAT LIST!!!! I want to try them all.

94. […]  Keisha’s Favorite – Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving by Dreaming of Leaving […]

95. Mhar Sefcik says:

I love the sweet potatoes, too. It’s what I am looking forward to this Thanksgiving Day at my in-laws. 😉

96. URL says:

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: dreamingofleaving.com/2014/11/20/6-best-side-dishes-for-thanksgiving/ […]

97. Jennifer says:

That cranberry sauce sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

98. Since I’m a vegetarian, I’m ALL about the side dishes, haha. Those carrots look great!

99. My mouth is watering!!! Thank you so much for sharing at Waiting on…Wednesday! Hope you’ll join us again tomorrow!

100. […] The 6 Best Side Dishes for Thanksgiving from Dreaming of Leaving […]

101. Although we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK I’m loving those maple glazed carrots as a Christmas side dish! Great inspiration as always, thanks for linking up at #sharethejoy x

102. Denise says:

Great list! Thanks for linking up to Home Matters Party. #HomeMattersParty

103. Mmmmh…yummy side dishes! I love roasted carrots! But they all look amazing! Thanks for sharing at Share it Link Party this week!