Traditional Homemade Puerto Rican Coquito

Traditional Homemade Puerto Rican Coquito
569 Flares Facebook 195 Google+ 62 Twitter 0 Pin It Share 309 StumbleUpon 3 Email -- 569 Flares ×

Traditional Homemade Puerto Rican Coquito is a staple during the holidays in my family. The popular holiday drink was seen at every gathering…the party didn’t start ’til the Coquito starts flowing!

The easiest way to describe this traditional drink to someone who’s never had it is Puerto Rican Eggnog, without the raw egg. The difference between regular eggnog and Puerto Rican eggnog is the addition of coconut milk and Puerto Rican rum. Coquito is creamy and rich with a hint of cinnamon and a taste of the Caribbean; it is also the color of winter white making it the perfect holiday drink! The holidays are all about indulgence and let’s be honest, who wants to spend such a joyous time counting calories?? In my opinion once you’ve had Coquito, traditional eggnog will just not do!

Untitled

dol-coquito

Ingredients 1-12oz can evaporated milk 1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk 1-15oz can sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez or Goya) 1-14oz can coconut MILK (not coconut cream!!) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 cinnamon sticks 1 vanilla bean split into two 3 cups Puerto Rican rum
Directions Combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut cream, and coconut milk and blend until combined well. Add the rum, vanilla, and ground cinnamon, and blend for about a minute more. You will need a large blender. Pour into a pitcher with a sealed lid and drop in the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean halves. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until very cold. Serve and enjoy!

tumblr_nc8gg7mLeT1txuf2po2_500

Like every recipe out there, Coquito has many variations. Below are a few different Coquito recipes to also try!

pumpkin-coquito-credit-chef-irma-rios-main

Pumpkin Coquito by TheLatinKitchen

coquito

Non-Dairy Coquito by EarthCandy

coquito-ice-cream-main

Coquito Ice Cream by FeelGoodFoodBlog

puerto rican chocolate coquito

Chocolate Coquito by Always Order Dessert

coquita_cupcakes03

Coquito Cupcakes by Flamingo Musings

Did you enjoy this post? Let’s connect! Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, or become a fan on Facebook. Thanks for reading!

71 Responses to Traditional Homemade Puerto Rican Coquito

1. Hi, Jess! Thank you for linking to my Coquito Cupcakes recipe. Very sweet of you, and coquito is one of my very favorite holiday indulgences! It was a lovely surprise, although I do wish you would have let me know in advance, as I would have been delighted to provide you with a better photo, without caption. 🙂

2. OH YUM! Definitely going to be trying this. I always thought there was something missing from eggnog (which I do love), and now I know that the answer is coconut milk and rum! Mahalo!

3. aimee fauci says:

This drink looks amazing and it looks like something I could drink up but then it also looks like it could add some pounds on me.

4. Courtney says:

Omg this sounds absolutely delicious!!!! I might just have to save this recipe ❤

5. Chocolate coquito?!?! I’ve never heard of that, but I’m very intrigued!

6. All of this looks amazing! sharing and trying to convince someone to recreate all of this for me! Thanks for this post!

7. courtney says:

All of these look amazeballs! Thanks for sharing!

8. I had these one time at a party. Muy delicious. Yum.

9. This sounds amazing! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Thank you so much for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays! Hope you join up with us again next week!

10. Tea says:

OMG, everything looks so delicious:) Pictures are great!

11. Bernadyn says:

This looks so good! I want to try the ice cream and cupcake recipes, too. Stopping by from Come Along Ponds party. Sharing and pinning this!

12. Kirsten says:

Yum, yum! Que rico! Can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

13. Candice says:

Those look amazing…thinking I might need to make some so I can try them out!

14. Jen says:

I LOVE Coquito, but this year is my first year celebrating the holidays as a vegan. I’m so glad you included a dairy free recipe in your round up! Thanks and have a great holiday season!

15. ShaRhonda says:

Thanks for linking this up on my A Very Pinteresting Christmas 2014! I am definitely pinning this for next year’s party!

16. Jennifer says:

I’ve never heard of coquito, I’m a diehard eggnog fan but this is looking tempting for my next get-together!

Oh my, this sounds delightful.

saw this on Merry Monday.

18. Mmmmmmmmmm!!!! The pumpkin and chocolate recipes look delicious! Thanks for linking this up to Two For Tuesdays!

19. Michele says:

I <3 coconut and rum, count me in on this<3 Pinned Happy Holidays

20. Robyn says:

Uhmm HI this looks amazing!!! Need to try making this with some friends. Thanks for sharing <3

21. Joie says:

I have never heard of coquito, however all of this looks good. I think my family would love the muffins.

22. That looks so tasty! I’ve never tried it, but I want to now!

23. Danielle says:

I love coquito! Thanks for posting the delicious recipe and linking up to the fun variations. The ice cream looks dreamy, especially to this southern girl, winter doesn’t really reach us by Christmas.

24. I’ve never had coquito before, but this looks amazing! Thanks for linking up at the #homematters linky party! We hope to see you again this coming Friday!

25. Chelsee says:

Wow the coquito looks amazing! Thanks for linking this post up for the Christmas is in the air!

26. OMG you just totally made me hungry. I love cinnamon! If it takes anything like Rumchata I am in!

27. This is not something that I have ever tried, but it looks like I will have to remedy that.

Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

28. Amberjane says:

Okay I need a drink of this I have never heard of it before but sounds amazing. Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

29. Coconut coquito !!I must try thanks for sharing.
    #momssmallvictories

30. Lisa Rioux says:

These treats and drinks look fabulous.

31. Love your site and thanks for the link back to my Coquito Ice Cream recipe! xxoooXXooo

32. Jacqui Odell says:

These sound amazing! Thank you for linking up to Party Time and we hope to see you again next week!

33. I love coquito and just featured it in a guest post I did about our favorite holiday treats in our multicultural family.

Thanks for sharing with #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup and hope you link up three more posts this week!

34. Thanks for linking up at the #HomeMatters linky! We hope you will join us again this week!
    ~Bonnie

35. Christine says:

These look delicious. Thanks so much for linking up with us!

36. Amber says:

I think I just found my new holiday drink! I can’t wait to try this, and since I live in the tropics, I think it will be perfect for all our Christmas parties.
    Thanks for linking up at the SHINE blog hop!
    Amber at OurCharmedLife.net

37. Sharon Rowe says:

Hi I’m Sharon from How To Get Organized At Home, I just wanted to say thank you for visiting my party today. I have just read your post and I have never tried this before but I am going to defiantly try it now it looks gorgeous.

38. Yum! I’m particularly liking the ice-cream version! Thanks so much for sharing at Talented Tuesdays!

39. Cesar Diaz says:

Everything looks delicious! Can’t wait to start making the chocolate one. I think I am starting a new tradition my self!

40. Oh, I LOVE coquito, it’s so delicious. We make creme de vie (Cuban style), and I love both drinks at Christmas time!

41. Yum! This sounds delicious! And I love the gif of Leo, one of my favorite parts of the movie!

42. Your drink sounds and looks fabulous. I’ll have to try making it for Christmas. I’m pinning it !

43. Toni says:

That sounds so BAD but so darn good I’m going to have to try it! Yum.

44. Honest Mum says:

Never heard of this before, now I want one! Yum! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x

45. Hi Jessica! You can imagine my surprise when I saw your link today! I recently posted a recipe for Coquito also, I absolutely love the stuff! I love how you included other variations that people have done with Coquito. Thanks for sharing your version!

46. Jessica says:

I am an egg nog fanatic, so this post made my day! LOL. As a matter of fact, I also did a post on my own homemade egg nog recipe with pudding mix(featured below). I will most definitely be trying out these recipes(except without the rum;not legal yet LOL)!

47. Shelly says:

Hi Jessica! This drink sounds so delicious! I was in PR last summer and never heard of it, but I guess it’s a winter drink? I do love Puerto Rican food though, especially mofongo! Thanks for sharing this at On Display Thursday! Don’t forget to stop by to see if you were featured! We’d love to see you again tonight at 9 pm central, and in the new year at 6 am Thursdays! Happy Holidays!

48. linda says:

What a rich delicious holiday drink! Hope it is good without the rum because my teens love these types of drinks with coconut milk for times in Thailand. Pinning for our holiday treats to make! Merry Christmas! Linda

49. Rachel says:

I have never heard of Coquito but it sounds amazing! Pinning. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

50. Jacqui Odell says:

I will have to try those cupcakes. They look amazing. Thank you for linking up to Party Time and we hope to see you again next week!

51. Oh my goodness, this looks absolutely delicious! And there is so much you can do with it. I’d love it if you linked up with my Christmas Link Party – I think my readers would love this recipe

52. Sounds delicious, pinning! Visiting from #HomeMatters 🙂

53. Puerto Rican Coquito sounds wonderful ! This would make a nice addition to a holiday party. Thanks for sharing your recipe at the Home Matters Linky Party. Pinned and Shared. 🙂

~Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai
    #HomeMatters

54. Christie says:

I LOVE coquito!! I work with three Puerto Rican ladies and they turned me on to this delicious drink. I actually made my own last year. It was fabulous! Thank you for sharing this with #FoodieFridays this week!

55. Rachel says:

I JUST hosted my annual Christmas party yesterday! Bummed I’m a day late on this!!! (Just now seeing it). Sounds AMAZING! Pinning for next year! 😉

56. My husband is from Puerto Rico and we have this every holiday, it’s awesome!

57. Mandy says:

Yummilicious! It all looks amazing.

58. Beth says:

It looks delicious!

59. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe at the party! Pinned. Happy Holidays!

60. Erlene says:

Yum! This sounds delicious. I have almost everything except for the liquor. Will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks or sharing it on Merry Monday.

61. This looks incredible! Yumm!

62. What a great tip! My godfather Miguel would have been impressed! Hello, my name is Misty, from The LadyPrefers2Save at http://theladypreferstosave.com, and I’m one of the new co-hosts for the Merry Monday Linky Party! I wanted to write and thank you for linking up to this weeks Merry Monday party, as well as to let you know that your post will be linked to the Merry Monday Pinterest board, as well my social media accounts. I would love to have you also stop by my blog as well! Thanks for linking up at the Merry Monday’s Linky Party this week, and I hope to see you linking up next week as well. Have an awesome week!

63. lisa says:

I’ve never heard of this before. I love eggnog but hate raw egg. I pinned this try later. I’m looking forward to it. Thanks!

64. Dianna Davis says:

I have never heard of this myself– but I’m sure many in my family have. I think I’m going to make a batch for my cousin’s up coming birthday and not tell what it is, and See, that would be a great surprise for her,if she does know. Thank so much.

65. Coquito is something I have never tried, it sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for linking up with or fabulous Foodie Fridays Party! Have a great weekend xx

66. Emmy says:

I have never tried this or heard of it, sounds great though! Always fun to try something new. Thanks so much for linking up with the #bestoftheblogosphere link party.

67. […] Puerto Rican Coquito from Dreaming of Leaving […]

68. […] Dreaming of Leaving  shared her Traditional Homemade Puerto Rican Coquito […]

69. […] Homemade Puerto Rican Coquito from Dreaming of Leaving […]